Sunday, September 4, 2011

Homemade Black Bean Burgers

My husband was at a chess tournament last night, so it was just the kids and I for dinner.  I decided to experiment with making black bean burgers.  I'm always trying to incorporate more beans into our diet...both for their high nutritional content and the frugal aspect.  I used to love veggie burgers (even though we do eat meat) but haven't eaten them in years since they are so processed and usually contain gluten.

Last night I decided to experiment with making my own, and they came out SO GOOD.   The kids loved them, and like all kids they tend to be a bit skeptical of "new foods".

Don't skip using the food processor.  It is vital to getting everything blended well without chunks.  Whether you are making chickpea patties, black bean burgers, lentil cakes, salmon cakes, etc...the food processor really makes a huge difference.

You can use canned beans for this recipe.  I always buy dried beans (MUCH cheaper) and soak and cook them myself.  I generally tend to soak and cook a few pounds at a time, and then separate them out into smaller containers and freeze them. Cooked beans freeze really well and I get the convenience of canned beans without the added salt or cost.  Beans tend to defrost very quickly, so as long as I remember to take them out from the freezer 30 minutesor so ahead of time, we're good.

As far as the gluten-free bread crumbs so...you can buy the expensive ones, but I never do.  I simply save all the crumbs, crusts, or uneaten bread ends left over from my own homemade gluten-free bread in a little bag in the freezer.  It doesn't take too long before I have a cup or so of crumbs right there...practically for free.

Homemade Black Bean Burgers
2 cups cooked black beans 
2 eggs
1 cup gluten-free bread crumbs (if you don't have any, try substituting cornmeal)
2 tablespoons gluten-free mayonaisse
1 onion, coursly chopped
salt to taste,
pepper to taste
1/2 tsp cumin

Combine everything in a food processor and process until smooth.  The mixture will be very wet and soft...that's okay.   
You can either pan fry in coconut oil, bake in the oven or grill on a grill.  I used my little indoor George Foreman grill.  I simply sprayed it with gluten free non-stick cooking spray, and spooned about 1/4 cup of mixtures to form each patty onto the grill.  I then closed the grill and grilled it until the the outside turned a nice golden brown.  The burgers firmed up nicely and were delicious!

Enjoy your homemade black bean patties.





No comments:

Post a Comment