Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Gluten Free Coconut Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies

We love cookies.  My husband especially is a big fan!  Cookies are a staple around here for snacks for hubby, so because of that, I'm always on the quest for healthier, better cookies.  In fact my husband likes to tease me that he still married me despite the fact that while we were dating I made him cookies with dates instead of chocolate chips!  Little did he know, that my cookie concoctions would get healthier and healthier as time went on and the kids arrived, and started eating cookies themselves.

I experimented a bit to get the perfect recipe here.  These aren't super sweet, they have just a hint of sweetness.  If you like a really sweet cookie you might want to add some brown sugar in as well.

  

Gluten Free Coconut Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 cup melted butter
1 cup sugar

1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
8 eggs
1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
2 cups coconut flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped walnuts*
1 1/2 cups gluten free chocolate chips

Mix butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla.  Stir in cinnamon, flour and salt.  Fold in walnuts and chocolate chips.  Form into balls and place on greased cookie sheet.  Flatten each ball slightly (these have no leavening agent, so they don't spread out at all on the pan...you can put them closer together than regular cookies). Bake at 375 degrees for 13-15 minutes or until done.  


*My secret to chopping/crushing nuts easily. My kids LOVE doing this.  I place the nuts in little plastic baggies, then wrap in another plastic bag or two, place on the floor and crush them with my feet. Gets the nuts nice and crushed, really easily.  Plus it's fun, and a great way to work out your frustrations.   Just don't tell my mom I do this please, I'm sure she would be aghast. ;)

Yes, these do have A LOT of eggs in them...but that just makes them healthier...more protein!!!  Cookies are a great way to get your eggs in, no?  Actually, these do have sugar in them, so they're not perfect, but if we're going to eat treats, why not make them as healthy as possible?  I like to use coconut flour in a lot of my baked goods due to the high fiber and high protein content.  Coconut flour has 4 grams of protein and 12 grams of fiber per oz...as compared to just over 2 grams of protein and fiber in brown rice flour.  I love these cookies, since despite the sugar, they do have a lot of good stuff in them too!  I generally use Azukar Organics Natural Coconut Flour, as I was able to get it inexpensively in bulk and it seems to be a bit less processed than other brands.  This flour is a bit brownish, as compared to other brands where the flour is totally white.
 
I hope you enjoy these gluten free coconut flour chocolate chip cookies!!

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful recipe - easy and simple, without a lot of flours and other ingredients that are expensive and taste funky (I mean, that you have to develop a palate for). Yum! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL...that is true about the different flours! It is super nice to have a recipe that only uses one flour and doesn't involve measuring out a bunch of different ones.

    ReplyDelete