Monday, June 27, 2011

Gluten Free Hawaiian Meatballs and Rice

Up until this year, I had never heard of Hawaiian meatballs and rice.  It's not something my mother had ever made and not something I had ever tried.  However, several months back I had seen it listed on a meal-train for a new mom, and it intrigued me.  I LOVE meatballs, but prior to going gluten-free, I would never have dreamed of pairing meatballs with anything other than pasta.  Going gluten-free can change all that.   At that time, I kinda put the recipe out my mind, but recently came back to it and decided to give it a whirl.   In fact, I had such a hankering to try this recipe that I even did one of those "oh, I forgot an item, let me run back and get it" dashes in line at the checkout counter when I realized I didn't have any canned pineapple on hand.

It was super yummy, so I thought that I just had to share it!

Plus, it uses turmeric, which is my new favorite spice!  If you weren't aware, turmeric is an extremely beneficial spice and can even help prevent cancer.  You can learn more about turmeric benefits

Gluten Free Hawaiian Meatballs and Rice
Meatballs

1/2 lb. ground beef
1/2 lb. ground pork sausage
1 egg
1/2 cup gluten free bread crumbs (I just save the crumbs from my gluten-free bread and keep a bag in the freezer)
salt to taste
pepper to taste
dried minced onion to taste

Mix all ingredients.  Shape into balls and place on a cookie sheet.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minute or until done.

Rice:

1 cup jasmine rice
2  1/2 cups chicken broth (I make my own from chicken bones and freeze it)
1 teaspoon turmeric
salt to taste

Cook rice according to package directions using chicken broth instead of water and adding salt and turmeric in with the chicken broth.  Be careful you don't add too much salt, if your both is already pretty salted.

Hawaiian Sauce:


1 can crushed pineapple.  (Use pineapple in its own juice..stay away from the heavy syrup).
2 tablespoons molasses
1 cup water
2 tablespoons corn starch
1 chopped onion
1 minced garlic clove.

Combine all ingredients in a sauce pan over medium heat until thickened.   Pour over meatballs, coating the meatballs with the sauce well.  Serve over rice!

Enjoy these delicious gluten free Hawaiian Meatballs and Rice!


No comments:

Post a Comment